Canada ETA application

Visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport must have a valid ETA (exceptions apply). An ETA allows one to enter Canada for up to 6 months at a time, and is valid for up to 5 years.

Course of the application process

1. Start your ETA application 2. Fill out the application form
3. Pay and submit the application 4. Receive ETA by email within 24 hours

You can apply here:

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)?

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport need an Electronic Travel Authorization. However, those entering Canada by land or sea do not require an ETA. Furthermore, a number of visa-exempt foreign nationals do not require an ETA, such as U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens and permanent resident, cannot apply for an ETA.
An ETA is valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires (whatever comes first). If you get a new passport, you must also apply for a new ETA. With an ETA, one can visit Canada as often as one likes for up to 6 months at a time.

Who should apply for an ETA?

Travellers from the following country should apply for an ETA:

Andorra; Antigua and Barbuda; Australia;  Austria; Bahamas; Barbados; Belgium; British citizen; British National (Overseas); British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom); British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth; descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands; British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom; Brunei Darussalam; Chile; Croatia; Cyprus; Czech Republic; Denmark; Estonia; Finland; France; Germany; Greece; Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR; Hungary; Iceland; Ireland; Israel, must have a national Israeli passport; Italy; Japan; Republic of Korea; Latvia; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Malta; Mexico; Monaco; Netherlands; New Zealand; Norway; Papua New Guinea; Poland; Portugal; Samoa; San Marino; Singapore; Slovakia; Slovenia; Solomon Islands; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number, United States, lawful permanent resident of; Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.

Requirements to enter Canada

Those travelling to Canada must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport.
  • Be in good health.
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties – such as a job, home, financial assets or family – that will take you back to your home country.
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit.
  • Have enough money for your stay (the amount of money you will need can depend on the length of your stay, and whether you are staying at a hotel, or with friends or relatives).



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here